Born May 30, 1956 in Steubenville, Ohio, U.S.A.
I spent my childhood in the woods of the Ohio River watershed near Steubenville Ohio. These moments as well as the contrasting visions of the steel mills whenever we went into town made up my childhood landscape. Art became a way for me to "transcend to something other" very early in life and I've been continuing that pursuit ever since.
In 1974, I went to Asbury College to study for the ministry and discovered that ministry was not restricted to the pulpit. I eventually majored in art and studied under Rudy Medlock and Ed Knippers. I finished a BFA in studio art and photography at Youngstown State University and moved to Minnesota to teach art in a Christian school.
I moved to Virginia in 1993 and worked in various art/photography related fields while continuing to pursue the art-making. I am now attempting to incorporate creativity, imagination, and a fascination with beauty into the education of young people at Fresta Valley Christian School in Marshall, VA.
I've shown in a multitude of shows, both group and one-person, across the country and have work in many private collections.
One-man show at Floris United Methodist Church, Herndon, VA June 15- end of August, 2016. Reception/Artist talk Thursday, July 28 @7pm
One-man show at Convergence, Alexandria, VA Sept. 2 - October 29, 2016
SELECTED RECENT AWARDS AND EXHIBITIONS:
- Fresh Expressions National Gathering, First Baptist Church of Alexandria - 2014
- "In All Things" Solo Exhibition Truro Church Feb.-April, 2013
- CIVA Traveling Show -"Touch, Annoint, and Heal: God With Us"
- Juried Show: 2011 CIVA Conference
- Solo Exhibition: "Walking With the Light" Asbury United Methodist Church, Harrisonburg, VA - February-March, 2011
- C.I.V.A. Sourcebook Juried Exhibition 2011-12
- "Through an Artist's Eye: A Glimpse of Variety in Art"- Lincoln Berean Church, Lincoln, NB - Nov. 27, 2010 - Jan. 3, 2011
- "Contemporary Still Life" at The InSpiritive Gallery (invited artist)
- Solo exhibition at Truro Church, Fairfax, VA - Aug. 1 - Nov. 31, 2009
- Best in Show -Meadowlark Nature Photography Expo 2009
- Best in Show -Piedmont Regional Art Show and Sale 2006
- "Photographer of the Year" awards from Manassas/Warrenton Camera Club
- "Wind, Water, Oil, Fire"Red Bank, NJ, 2010.
- "Between You, Me, and God - 13 Photographs by Glenn Howell"
at the Art of Passage gallery in Bloomington, MN - August 2010
- World magazine, Dec 4, 2010 issue
- Veritas Press Omnibus Textbook
- Fauquier Times-Democrat
- CIVA Sourcebook Juried Show 2011-12
- "Violent Grace, A Retrospective" - the paintings of Ed Knippers
- The Billy Graham Center Museum
- Vanderbilt University Art Library
- Three Rivers Arts Festival, Pittsburgh, PA
- The Butler Institute of American Art